Thursday, November 30, 2006

Matt Perry '06 and a Local Internship Opportunity

I had a chat with Matt Perry '06 yesterday and learned that he has joined the UPS-Congressman Smith cabal. Much of Congressman Smith's office in town and DC is controlled by UPS PG alums, so I'm happy to see that we're ever tightening that grip (I've got some pork-barrel legislation I need pushed through). Interning for Congress is a great opportunity, even if US politics is not your main interest. Give Matt a call or drop him an email.

Hi there, my name is Matt Perry and I am an '06 PG grad. I spent this summer working on U.S. Congressman Adam Smith's (WA-09) re-election campaign and have recently started working in the Congressman's District Office here in Tacoma. I am the latest Logger to join the staff (there are five of us) and I am looking for college students interested in internship opportunities.

As someone who completed two of these internships while attending UPS, I strongly encourage anyone interested to apply. I interned for Reps. Adam Smith and Norm Dicks and found both experiences very rewarding.

The District Offices of U.S. Representatives function often as a resource for constituents who have nowhere else to turn. We help constituents who are having trouble with the Social Security Administration, the State Department, Homeland Security, etc. We also work with community groups and research legislation. It is rewarding, both personally and professionally.

In my experience working in government, one job has always led to the next (thank you to Professor O'Neil for setting up my first interview). By interning as a college student, I graduated already knowing what types of government work interested me and with a strong resume.

If you have any questions about the internship or otherwise, please don't hesitate to contact me:
253-896-3775 (work)
matt.perry@mail.house.gov

Congressman Adam Smith
Welcomes Internship Opportunities
Congressman Adam Smith is currently in the process of looking for interns who want to learn about the daily operations of Congress and its inner workings. He is looking for individuals who want to be a part of a hard-working team of people who are willing to serve the citizens of Washington State.

Program Outline: Internships are available for school credit if approved by your college or university. Interns may work full-time or part-time.

Job Description: Internships are both administrative and legislative in their nature. Some responsibilities include: attending community meetings, researching and writing responses to constituent inquiries, and performing a multitude of administrative tasks.

Application Procedure: To be considered for an internship, please submit the following information as a complete packet: cover letter, resume, two letters of recommendation, and a one-page writing sample on why you would like to be a congressional intern. Please send your packet to:

Congressional District Office: Congressman Adam Smith
3600 Port of Tacoma Rd, Suite 106
Tacoma, WA 98424
Attn: Diane Brazell, Office Manager

All students are encouraged to apply. For further information, please contact my district office at 253-896-3775.
Matt Perry
Office Assistant, U.S. Rep. Adam Smith

Tags: