Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Karina Copen '94

The email comes via Professor Share, who took Karina along with a number of other UPS students on a study tour of Central America that he conducted regularly in the 1990s. Karina writes:

"As many of you know, I have been working as a consultant for the past year and a half since I finished graduate school at Columbia (School of Public and International Affairs--Professor O'Neil). During this time I have been looking for a full- time job that met both my desire to work with Latin America and to work with an organization that fits my values and commitment to social justice, women's empowerment and human rights. It has been a long and at times frustrating journey, but I am pleased to let you know that I have just accepted a job that I am thrilled about.

At the end of October 2006, I will begin working with Oxfam America in their regional office in San Salvador. My title will be Program Officer for Humanitarian Preparedness and Response. To translate for those of you not in the field , my job will be to work with the local organizations that Oxfam supports to help them prepare their communities for the emergencies that affect the region--earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, floods, etc. I am happy to send you more details if you are interested, but won't bore everyone with them here."

Professor Share and Karina both thought that this would be a great opportunity for an internship. Let me know if you are interested in working with Karina in San Salvador.

Tags: