Friday, March 14, 2008

Linz Heppe '07 update: DC, grad school, intern life

From Linz Heppe '07:

My internship at the Protection Project has swung into high gear and I love it there! I am just finishing up some of the annual TIP (Trafficking in Persons) country reports. I have been working on the Middle East as my region, and have thus far completed my reports for Tunisia, Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq. I will be completing Saudi Arabia sometime in the near future.

I have also been hooked up with Professor Ahmad Iravani who is affiliated with the Catholic University of America in D.C. He studied in Iran and has focused on Islamic theology and philosophy, human rights and women's rights, international law and ethics etc. He received his B.A., M.A. and PhD in Iran. We will be focusing on the link between politics and religion in Islam, and will be focusing primarily on the philosopher Jacques Maritain. Maritain was very influential when drafting the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. His philosophy was based upon the idea that without spirituality, the wholeness of the person/human/humanity, cannot be realized.

I have also been accepted to George Washington University's Security Policy Studies program!! I received my letter (packet) in the mail yesterday and could not stop glowing.

My Arabic studies are going very well, and I am thankful that next semester I will be able to take the language from the same professor (since I will be obtaining a Masters from the same school). I feel like I've learned SO much Arabic in the past couple months, equivalent to the 5 years of Spanish I have taken in the past. I can already carry on conversation with native Arabic speakers, of which I now have many.

I will let you both know of any further developments!