Wednesday, September 12, 2007

There is Fred Ross '86

A recent email from Fred Ross '86. Alums, especially those who remember Fred, do drop him a line at his blog. Fred's blog is a great read (I can't imagine driving from Portland to Central America) and he's got an excellent Flickr site with pictures as well.




Professor O'Neil,

I have perused a few of the blogs you have sent over the past year. I´m new to the blog world having just started one myself in the last few months. Is there a way for me to place a post on your blog to perhaps make contact with fellow UPS students from the past or students involved in similar endeavors as myself right now?

I recently ended my career of 17 years as a Realtor in Portland, Oregon. It was a good 17 years but I want to do something different. I am currently driving through Central and South America learning Spanish and enjoying myself but ultimately looking to find work with an NGO doing humanitarian aid work.

Presently I am in Leon, Nicaragua in my third week of immersion classes. From here I will be heading to Colombia for another 4 weeks of immersion. Then I´m meeting friends to hike the Inka Trail, camp in Patagonia, enjoy Buenos Aires, etc. etc.

I have a blog for friends to keep track of me at
whereisfred.wordpress.com.

Other than when friends meet me along the way I´m making this journey alone and would love to make contacts with other people associated with the univeristy, past and present. I´m also looking for any contacts with different relief and aid organizations. I´m especially interested in Nicaragua (I studied this country at UPS in the 80´s)and Bolivia.

Best,
Fred Ross ´86