Thursday, September 27, 2007

Laurel Bandy '07, Mountbatten Update

Last year we documented Laurel Bandy's application for the Mountbatten Internship, "a carefully designed 12 month training program that provides an opportunity to learn about British and International business techniques, and to experience the rich cultural diversity of London. Successful completion of the Programme leads to the Certificate in International Business Practice". Laurel received guidance from former Mountbatten recipient Ashley Vroman-Lee '01, a contact the department helped put together.

The other day I received an email from Laurel:

I hope this email finds you all well and enjoying a beautiful fall season! I am coming up on my 1 month anniversary in London, and I wanted to briefly update you on my life across the pond. In short, I love it! I'm living in a very chic, safe part of North London called Maida Vale (near the Beatles Abbey Road), and I have 3 great flatmates (also with Mountbatten). We live in a row of town houses with 60 other interns, which is great fun and an easy way to meet people. I am also really enjoying my job. I'm working for the largest insurer of the transport industry in the world, which has already opened up several doors.

This week I'm attending the UN's IMO subcommittee meetings on Dangerous Goods and Cargoes as part of a delegation from an NGO based in London. It's a wonderful opportunity to see how NGOs and government institutions work together (and don't) to come to a consensus. I'm also the only intern in my intake who will be traveling with work, so I got really lucky in the interview process! Outside of work some of the highlights so far have been going to festivals in London like the Thames River Festival and the Notting Hill Festival, which are awesome for ethnic food and music. I've also been to the theatre, and I'm really getting into running around the parks (30% of London is open green space!). All in all, I feel very lucky to be here and I'm having a fantastic time!


Sounds like all is going very well. Student and recent grads (up to age 29), are you going to apply?