Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Local internship for Congress...and Obama...right now!

This in from Matt Perry '06. What an incredible opportunity:

Just wanted to give you an update on what I've been up to. I continue to work for Rep. Adam Smith as his Political Director, which involves managing his campaign and being his political eyes and ears back here in the state. Recently I have also taken on in-state fundraising and assisting with the Obama campaign in Washington (Rep. Smith is the Chair for Obama's campaign here).

I am getting a wide variety of experiences that continues to sharpen my understanding of what campaigns are all about. It is especially interesting to contrast my current fundraising experiences with the findings of my senior thesis, which analyzed U.S. campaign finance laws.

I also wanted to let you know about two internships that we will be offering for the fall, in case any students may be interested. I took advantage of internships throughout college and found that they gave me an edge for finding a job after graduation.

Students will get a wide range of experience with exposure to both Rep. Adam Smith's campaign and also Barack Obama's campaign in the Northwest. Interns will learn the nuts and bolts of organizing a grassroots campaign both on a regional and national scale. Duties will include assisting in the planning of events, attending community meetings, maintaining a database, organizing mailings and all of the other tasks that are involved in running successful campaign.

Anyone interested can reach me at 253-572-6125 or mattperry83@gmail.com.

Thanks!

-Matt