Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Evan Howe '05; Peace Corps ends, Latin America Calls

An email from PG alum Evan Howe '05, who is finishing up his Peace Corps work in Niger:

My service has gone by rather quickly but it has certainly been an experience. It was difficult to leave my village, but I also feel that it's time for something new and different. It looks like I'm going to follow through with my plan to travel around South America after my service, so I'll be headed to Brazil and a few other countries until January. I've been attempting to study a little Portuguese and Spanish, but I don't think it's been going that well. Hopefully by the time I get there it will decent enough that i can communicate basic things. I leave next week.

When I return to the U.S. I have been thinking of moving to Washington D.C. to try to get a entry-level job at a law firm, with the hopes of doing that until the summer and applying for inner-city teaching positions in the fall of 2008. Working in the educational system in Niger has given me the motivation to continue to work with youth upon my return. Although I imagine it's going to be a completely different experience. So we will see how that goes.

I hope that all is well in Tacoma and you have a nice semester. I will do my best to send a picture for your blog, I'm trying to catch up with some of the entries over the last few months, sounds like you are all keeping quite busy. Please say hello to all in the P&G department for me.

We are looking forward to hearing more about Evan's time in Niger--and indeed, from any of our alums out there. Send us a note, let us know how you are doing.