Tuesday, July 11, 2006

From Arches

Some pieces in Arches to point out:

First, some time back I posted a picture I took at Jonee Winnick's recent wedding on campus. There's an article about her and her husband, Wayne, who was recently redeployed to Iraq. The piece is here.

Second, a letter by Candy Tingstad ’79 about Harry P. Cain, former mayor of Tacoma who publicly opposed the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War Two. In an earlier post we mentioned the Cain Scholarship on campus that bares his name, which is open to students who intend to pursue a career in public service. Thanks to Mark Smith '61 for calling the letter to my attention, and to Candy Tingstad, daughter of Mayor Cain, for reminding us of this piece of local history and its connnection to our campus.

Third, a nice profile of T'wina Franklin; I had a chance to meet her husband and T'wina's wonderful mother at our department graduation function; here's a picture of T'wina and her mother, along with Professor Melissa Bass and myself.

Finally, I missed this piece on Cameron Dolcourt '04 in the last issue. Sorry, Cameron!

Tags: