Monday, July 10, 2006

Debra Dahlin '85

An email:

"For any of you who wondered what happened to me, Debra Dahlin, '85...

I just finished my second year teaching at the college level as an Instructor and loved every minute of it!

In addition, my husband, who is a professor of International Relations, travelled to Ukraine in August 2004 and adopted our most precious children, Max and Beau, now 6 and 4.5. They are the best job I ever had.

In between, I've done the typical, atypical liberal arts career (slightly stunted by the sexism in the South) working first the the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and literally running into my mentor, Dave Balaam on the street (you are the greatest) as well, and Dr. Veseth on the metro. It amounted to a graduate degree in and of itself.

Then on to graduate school thinking I was headed into the Foreign Service and beefing up on my Public Administration skills. Thanks to Dr. Share for giving me the best foundation in comparative politics I could have asked for. Huntington is still relevant.

I then worked as a Public Affairs Director for a TV station and finally started teaching at the college level, first Warren Wilson College, then Winthrop University, and now around the kid's schedules.

That's all the news that's fit to print, I guess."

There's a piece on Debra's overseas adoption in their school paper--you can find it here.

Tags: