Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Social Networking Alternatives

A few days back I wrote about LinkedIn, and suggested to students (especially those getting ready to graduate) that this was a resource they should consider using. This morning on my way to work there was an interview on the radio with someone taking a critical view of MySpace, and speaking to the general power of social networks. I noticed today that the IPE program has set up a Facebook page. Given the difficulty (I find) of getting students to read email, I wonder if that is a smarter way to feed information to students--and I'd be very interested in getting feedback from students on that. Email me or comment below, and I will tinker with a Facebook page.

Some time back I proposed to the university that in fact UPS needs its own social network software that would link prospectives, students and alums. We'll see what comes of that.