Monday, April 09, 2007

Etiquette Comments

My post last week regarding the English Department's campus etiquette document generated a good bit of feedback that is worth reading. There are comments from students in PG and English, an alum currently in grad school, and one professor outside of the department.

Here's one small comment I would make regarding student etiquette that I've mentioned before, which is that I find it very difficult to get students to answer emails. They may be bombarded on their end with various missives, but some students tell me they don't check their email very often. This is a particular concern when I am trying to set up events or meetings and am unable to get responses from students whether they will attend.

So a small observation is that email works both ways, and students should be in the habit of using it and responding to queries from their professors or department.