Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sync Me

Just read about this in the most recent issue of The Atlantic (James Fallow's tech column that he used to write for the NYT). FolderShare allows you to link up several computers and sync folders automatically and in the background. So far I've tested it on two machines at home and seems to be easy to set up and allows a good deal of specificity (sync my pictures but not my documents or music, for example). I think it would be really valuable for anyone who does work on a PC in the office and also at home, and finds themselves having to email themselves files when they go from machine to machine. I also like the idea that I can set up a folder to share with a colleague and we can put files there that we would both use. A bit different from Google Docs, in that here it's more about sharing a range of documents as opposed to collaborating on a single file. It's free; a start-up absorbed by Microsoft in best Google fashion. Find it here.