Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Megan Buscho '06; From Teaching to Think tank

An update from Megan Buscho '06. She also asked after other '06 alums, so if you're out there reading this post, leave Megan a comment and say hi:

Since I left the University of Puget Sound, I have been pretty much working entirely in education reform, in one way or another. I started working for Teach for America in June and was placed in a school in Brooklyn. I loved my fellow teachers and enjoyed a lot of aspects of being a teacher. However, I was placed at a very violent school, and due to several incidents (if you want to know more, email me), I decided it was in my best interest to leave the school. Since Teach for America does not move teachers out of a school, I left teaching altogether.

Currently I am working for New Visions for Public Schools, the largest New York-based education reform non-profit. New Visions for Public Schools works to create and support small public schools in New York. I am working in the Policy department, and I am pretty convinced I have the perfect job! I am working on a number of research projects, from starting Green Markets in our high schools to how we can increase student voice in middle schools. I am also learning a lot about data tools and the New York state and city legislatures.

I know that looking for and landing a non-profit/policy job can be really daunting, and I don't know that I have a lot of advice to give, except to keep looking. I ultimately got this job through my downstairs neighbor. Apparently social capital really does lead to tangible results!

It looks as though this job is going to be a springboard into a Public Policy graduate program, but I don't plan on going back to school for a few years. If anyone wants to know more about my current job, Teach for America, or is just passing through New York I would love to hear from you!

Tags: