Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Ned Culhane '06 Weighs In

After his recent contribution to the internship roundup, I asked Ned to tell us a bit more about his work in DC:

I recently started a job with the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (www.nccam.nih.gov) as a Scientific Program Analyst. My responsibilities include maintaining various databases that track publications produced by our grantees and the various initiatives requesting grant applications. Additionally, I am the secretary of our weekly Program staff meetings and will also provide support to NCCAM sponsored conferences. This is just what I've gotten myself into during my month at NCCAM and I am sure more things will make their way to me. While my position is not "directly" related to my P&G degree, I have drawn on my education daily.

One quick note about the importance of e-mails. I definitely agree with you and think my internships in DC have forced me to rely heavily on e-mail. When I was in the Senate we would even use e-mail to record phone messages for our staff rather than write them down on paper. I also caved in a year ago and "upgraded" to a Blackberry. I think it is part of the culture in DC and I did feel out of place with
it in Tacoma. I have mixed thoughts on being connected all of the time but I've made the decision for it to remain only connected to my personal e-mail.

Best wishes for a great new semester!
Ned