Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jim Henderson '69

I had an email conversation a while back from Jim Henderson '69, who works for the Tacoma News Tribune and will be joining us for our PG student-alum gathering on March 26. He recapped the past few decades for me, and spoke about his work with Rotary (more of that to come in a subsequent post):

My Political Science courses definitely helped steer me into what I have done as a community volunteer over my working days. I worked afternoons although college at Weyerhaeuser in Tacoma and then Federal Way. I had always had an active interest in political events and government so majoring in Political Science was a natural for me. I went to Catholic Schools and to Bellarmine for high schools where I credit my formation of my social conscience - but I know my parents helped too. Working at Weyerhaeuser Company steered me to getting my MBA from the University when they still had a MBA program, with former governor Booth Gardner
setting up my MBA program. But the political interest stayed strong for me. In about 1969 I joined a local 'good government' organization called the Municipal League of Tacoma Pierce County - a group that served as a watchdog on local government, evaluated candidates who ran
for office, took stands on local ballot issues and monitored local governmental bodies. It was a great experience for me and I ended up being a volunteer for them for nearly 30 years including serving a two-year stint as their Exec. Director. This was like my interest outside of work and spent many hours doing it. I liked approaching local governmental issue from the non-partisan viewpoint, versus the political party viewpoint.

I stayed with Weyerhaeuser for 18 years until my position was eliminated in 1983, and then spent about 9 years as sales rep for an envelope manufacturer and then have been here at The News Tribune since 1995 - and the last seven years coordinating the newspaper's literacy program - Newspapers in Education - a job I truly love doing.

I have been a very active member of the Rotary Club of Tacoma #8 since 1984 and was President of that Club in 2002-2003. It is the 8th oldest Rotary Club in the Rotary World, founded in Feb. 1910 here in Tacoma. UPS President Ron Thomas is a member as was R. Franklin Thompson up until his death. Actually we are setting up a UPS Rotaract Club on
campus (a Rotary Club on a college campus) this academic year so any of your students who might have an interest in community service, and leadership opportunities would be more than welcome. I can let you know when the club has meetings and see if you could let some of your
students know about it. Rotary is a great worldwide organization which would also have some intern possibilities for your students too.

While I did not live on campus but at home during my UPS undergrad days, I still loved my education and experience there and especially majoring in Political Science. It has really influenced by future interests, community involvement and life.

Thanks to Jim for the update and we look forward to seeing him here on campus.

Tags: