Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Andrea Tull '02 and Cat Fish '08: What's up in DC?

I mentioned earlier that Andrea Tull '02 will be in town next month and visiting our department. Currently working for Congressman Adam Smith (see News Tribune article), there are a lot of changes afoot following the last elections. I'll set up an evening talk for interested students but would also like to offer a chance to lunch with Andrea if you're interested in knowing more about working and living in DC. Send me an email if you're interested.

Here's what Andrea has to say:

I got a promotion here in Rep. Smith's office. I am now going to be handling all of the Congressman's International Relations Committee work! I will keep healthcare in my portfolio, but I will no longer handle higher ed, campaign finance reform, pensions, labor, or job training issues.

Basically I had to give those issues up in order to allow myself time to prepare for Committee hearings, markups, etc. I am very excited. The House International Relations Committee (which may get renamed the House Foreign Affairs Committee) I will be in charge of global health, global poverty, development, foreign assistance, economic development, human and women's rights worldwide, and diplomacy/democracy efforts around the world.

One of my boss' focuses on this Committee is on global poverty and he introduced legislation last year which didn't pass and we are hearing from Leadership that they want to "fast-track" this bill, so it is likely it will pass this session with the newly elected Democratic Leadership!!! And I would be the lead staffer handling this bill/issue - very exciting news! I am very excited to deepen my skill set of issues to now include international. I still love that I will handle domestic healthcare issues, but now I also get global healthcare as well a whole host of other international issues.

Congratulations to Andrea for her promotion, and we are looking forward to seeing her. And students, this all began with an internship Andrea did in Congressman Smith's office here in town while she was still a student.

CIMG1238
Andrea and Cat in DC

CIMG1115
Cat and Congressman Adam Smith

To that end, here are some final thoughts from Cat Fish '08, who just completed an internship in Congressman Smith's office in DC this fall:

My internship in Representative Smith's office has finished and my time in Washington, D.C. has come to an end. I am sad to leave this city that I have gotten to know so well the past few months, as well as wonderful people that I met while I was here. It was a fantastic semester and I truly feel that I milked it for all it was worth. I learned more about the way that government works than I ever could have through textbooks, and also learned about living an independent adult life and what it is like to move alone to an unfamiliar city. The last few months have influenced my ideas about the different kinds of job prospects that exist and what I may be interested in doing with my future. Below is a list of things I learned/ advice I would bestow upon someone who is about to embark on a semester in D.C. Read it. Learn it. Live it...
  • A lot of people come to Washington, D.C. and get jaded, though there are ways to remain idealistic if you make an effort to.
  • Be prepared to meet/ live with people that are as passionate about you are about politics, but with views that are diametrically opposed to your own.
  • The media has the power to twist words in a way that can jeopardize people’s careers.
  • Members of Congress are (mostly) just normal people with a desire to serve their country.
  • Washington, D.C. feels like small town if you live there for more than a month.
  • Always wear comfortable shoes to work.
Tags: