Saturday, January 06, 2007

Alum Blog Roundup

Julia:
"I miss being out in the working world where at least if you work your butt off all day you can come home and relax at the end of it. I hate reading about things when I could be out there doing something about them".

Todd:
"Rachael Ray should be thinking now about how to ration her exposure so she doesn't burn everyone out on her bubbly kookiness."

Derek:
"I located my store in the ________ District because I value community. I wanted to be able to keep random hours and offer products at absurd prices and scowl at customers who don’t buy anything, all with a Draconian return policy. That’s why people come to this district to shop; the experience."

Korby:
"New connections and new friends were made. Wine flowed freely. Martinis were mixed and poured without ostentation in goblets: the closest thing I have to cocktail glasses."

Jennifer:
"Sasha's grandma decided to interrogate us about why we're moving to America as 'Ukraine is the best place on earth.' I might agree if I was 79 and all settled with children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, with a home and a life of memories. But young and starting out, it is a tough place to be. and c) it was COLD. Really cold in the village."

Mark:

"Guyanese people have some interesting traditions on Old Year’s Night. Many like to be in church or mandir when midnight strikes. And then, around 12:30 they go to the bars and start drinking, partying until dawn or so."

Ric:
"Taxation & Economics 101: If you want income that remains stable through the ups and downs, you should impose a very tiny tax on a wide variety of items. I.E.: broaden the base and lower the rates. A higher tax on a very few items results in a revenue stream with wild mood swings."

Trevor:
"Many of you may not realize this, but I really like Rice Krispies, made by the good people at Kellogg. This evening, while I was pouring myself a bowl of Krispie goodness, out of the box fell a plastic-wrapped digital pedometer (we have come a long way from secret decoder rings). Along with the pedometer there was the instruction sheet that I have included for you below."