On behalf of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), I invite you to participate in the next session of the Fall 2014 CFR Academic Conference Call series on Thursday, November 20, from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM in WY 326.
Elizabeth C. Economy, CFR's C.V. Starr senior fellow and director for Asia studies, will discuss U.S.-China relations in light of President Obama's recent visit with Chinese President Xi Jinping during the APEC summit in Beijing.
Dr. Economy has published widely on both Chinese domestic and foreign policy. Her most recent book, coauthored with Michael Levi, is "By All Means Necessary: How China's Resource Quest is Changing the World." Dr. Economy is also the author of "The River Runs Black: The Environmental Challenge to China's Future," which was named one of the top fifty sustainability books in 2008 by the University of Cambridge, won the 2005 International Convention on Asia Scholars Award for the best social sciences book published on Asia, and was listed as one of the top ten books of 2004 by the "Globalist" as well as one of the best business books of 2010 by Booz Allen Hamilton's "strategy+business" magazine.
She is a member of the World Economic Forum (WEF)'s Global Agenda Council on the United States and served as a member and then vice chair of WEF's Global Agenda Council on the Future of China from 2008 to 2014. Dr. Economy writes about topics involving China on CFR's Asia Program blog, "Asia Unbound."
As background for the discussion, you may wish to review the following materials:
1) Elizabeth C. Economy, "China's Imperial President: Xi Jinping Tightens His Grip," Foreign Affairs, November/December 2014.
2) Elizabeth C. Economy, "Is China Committed to Rule of Law?," Interview, CFR.org, October 29, 2014.
3) "U.S.-China Relations," Asia Unbound, Blog, Council on Foreign Relations.
4) "Timeline: U.S.-Relations with China," Interactive, Council on Foreign Relations.
5) "China's Maritime Disputes," Interactive, Council on Foreign Relations.
Please RSVP to Professor Seth Weinberger at email@example.com ASAP if you'd like to attend.
I look forward to seeing you there! Seth Weinberger