Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stephen Souvall '09, Protests in Peru

From Stephen Souvall '09:


IMG_0215
I hope all is well in the Department and at UPS! I thought you might find these photos interesting. I spent the past three months in Iquitos, Peru doing a micro credit internship and one day while working I heard a crowd outside.

IMG_0216
I went out on the balcony to find a protest for indigenous rights in progress. These protests in Iquitos and throughout Peru's northern rainforests have been relatively common and have sometimes turned violent. They are in response to government action to open up indigenous lands to oil, mining, logging, and agricultural companies.

More information can be found here (scroll down to the second story):

http://www.americasquarterly.org/indigenous-people-protests-peru