Friday, October 30, 2009

Hot Dog! Elly Henriksen in the China Daily--


Read the whole thing here--
http://www2.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2009-10/23/content_8836940.htm

US college life is in full swing and many young adventurous Americans are still telling tales about their overseas experiences. It's not unusual for foreign students to spend a summer in China interning at various companies but selling hot dogs in a Beijing hutong is way off the beaten track.

US college student Elly Henriksen ran the Bar Uno hot dog stand, located in Nanluoguxiang, for the greater part of the summer and is now back home in Washington state to tell the story.

"I got there on June 1, and was pretty much keeping the place running," said Henriksen.

A student at the University of Puget Sound in Washington state, Henriksen was offered the job by an American businessman and alumni of her school.

"My professor called me on my cellphone and told me I had a job prospect in China, and asked if I was interested," said Henriksen. With less than three weeks left before the semester was to end, she scrambled to get her visa and passport in place so she could come to China.

"I was basically told 'you're going to be running a hot dog stand, and you're going to work a lot'," said Henriksen. The stand, which is still running, is open seven days a week, for at least 12 hours each day. Henriksen was in charge of "establishing regular hours, regular prices, doing some of the hiring; we wanted to use an American business model," she said....