Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Alum Profile: Derek Young '96

Note: Derek mentions his website Exit 133 below. It's a great resource for what's developing in Tacoma, with an emphasis on real estate and urban planning. I read it every day (long before I realized he is one of our alums) and recommend it to anyone who wants to get a sense of how Tacoma is shaping up and where it might go in future.


When did you graduate from UPS?


1996

What have you been doing since graduation?

I have lived the corporate commuter lifestyle while becoming a proponent for all things good in Tacoma. I started working at REI’s corporate headquarters in Kent, Washington a few weeks after graduation. I have formed a few small companies to consolidate some side projects. I’ve run a few marathons and tend to ride my bike to work. I edit a website about Tacoma called Exit133.com. Generally speaking, I’ve stayed busy.

Why and how did you decide to take the career path you did?

There was no planning involved in my career path. I stumbled out of UPS planning on heading back to graduate school in Science & Technology Public Policy. At my first job interview with REI I told the recruiter that I would probably be with the company for two years, then I’d head to graduate school. They hired me anyway. What I found was a great company on the verge of many great years. While I’ve always worked in Information Technology, my job has morphed and changed over the years to keep things interesting. I started as an IT contract negotiator. Nearly ten years and five completely different job titles later, I’m still at REI. Currently I’m an IT Project Manager focusing on merchandising logistics.

I’ll be heading back to school to get a MBA this fall. After two years we’ll see which way my future is pointing.

Are there any aspects of the Politics and Government major or your UPS education in general that have served you particularly well?

I absolutely believe that UPS gave me a unique opportunity to blend majors in a way that was interesting to me and beneficial to my career. Do I synthesize molecules, swab agar, or analyze the economic growth of a nation in my day job? No. And nobody has ever mentioned Fukuyama’s End of History or Huntington’s Clash of Civilizations in one of my meetings. However, I use my UPS Politics and Biology degrees nearly every day. UPS taught me how to put structure around what I think and how I display information. My science degree and TA experience taught me how to communicate to scientific and non-scientific minds. My politics degree taught me about how to interpret disparate data using paradigms and models. By combining the two, I now realize, UPS taught me to think in such a way that I can react and communicate in nearly any situation.

Do you have any advice about what our students should make certain they do (or don’t do!) while still in school?

Travel and/or study abroad for an extended period of time. You’ll discover that there are at least a few other perspectives out there. Plus, it allows your mind to wander.

Take advantage of every public speaking opportunity.

Network! Who you know will get you in the door. Your interview skills, amazing smile, resume, and grades will get you the job.

Take classes outside your major.

Learn another language.

Do you have any advice about what our students should be thinking about as they consider their careers or further education?

Pursue your passions. You’ll be working for a long time. There’s no need to go into something you don’t really like. The same thing goes for graduate school. Don’t start into a program that takes eight years if you aren’t absolutely convinced that it’s what you want to do. You don’t want to be five or six years into a program only to discover you don’t actually like it.

Be flexible. Allow for opportunities.
If you don’t like your situation, change it.
Put life/work balance high on your priority list.

Any other words of wisdom, or important questions I haven’t asked?

Wherever you go after graduation, get involved in the community. Check out the local theatre, farmers market, and museums. Get involved in community organizations. Volunteer with youth or in the local arts organizations. First, this is a networking opportunity to find passionate people. Second, you’ll find personal satisfaction. Become more than just your job.

If you’re passionate about Tacoma, I know of a website you should read…
Tags: alums