Good Morning Professor Sousa,
We have a job opening for a staff assistant in Congressman Heck’s Lacey Office. This would be a good opportunity for any recent grads looking to get their foot in the door. Please feel free to post this announcement on the UPS P&G Blog, and forward to anyone you think may be interested.
Anyone interested is encouraged to contact Congressman Heck’s District Director, LaTasha Wortham, directly: (360) 459-8514, LaTasha.Wortham@mail.house.gov
We value a diverse work environment and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. Residence in the 10th Congressional District is desired but not required.
TITLE: Staff Assistant
REPORTS TO: District Director
- to answer the telephones;
- to greet visitors to the office;
- to answer constituent requests for general information, tours, flags, and other inquiries;
- to monitor delivery and pickup of materials;
- to maintain front office;
- to oversee interns;
- to order supplies;
- to assist with special projects; and
- to assist with various administrative duties.
- minimum of 1 years office experience;
- professional telephone manner;
- proficiency in word processing;
- excellent organizational and proofreading skills;
- exceptional ability to use and troubleshoot PCs, photocopier, facsimile machine and other office equipment;
- ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others; and
- availability to work long hours, if necessary.
- answers and screens telephone calls for the Member and other staff members and takes messages;
- greets and screens visitors;
- assists persons who have appointments with the Member or other staff members. Works closely with the District Director (DD) to ensure that the Member's appointments are on time and that the DD is aware of the visitors' arrival;
- responds to constituent requests for flags, tours and other information;
- maintains handout literature regarding the district and the House;
- signs for deliveries and forwards all materials delivered to the office to appropriate staff members in a timely manner;
- maintains the office answering machine or voice mail;
- ensures that requests for assistance are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner;
- writes down visitor opinions, including full name, address, and all relevant information;
- logs in mail;
- performs general typing and administrative assignments;
- sends, receives, and distributes materials via the facsimile machine; and
- performs special project and other administrative duties as assigned.
Beth Schimke, UPS ‘11