Monday, August 27, 2012

Internship with a Tacoma City Council member!


Hi everyone,

My name is Anders Ibsen, and I am a member of the Tacoma City Council. I am seeking interns who are interested in learning more about Tacoma city government, and local decision-making in general.

Duties will include community organization (calling folks off a list to get them to volunteer, show up for meetings, write letters to the editor, ec.), policy research for the purpose of writing legislation, and constituent relations (responding to constituent concerns and accessing resources to help people in need).

The community organization piece is the most essential component for me. I will train people extensively, so a formal background is not a strict necessity (though it's certainly a plus!). It's more important to be an eager learner, and to have the self-discipline to do important tasks that can sometimes be redundant.

I am very flexible with the other tasks. I will assign policy research to people on the basis of their policy interests. I would also be happy to "farm out" interns to other councilmembers if they have projects that may be of interest to my interns' particular pursuits. This can evolve if they choose to intern with me for multiple semesters. I am also flexible about the amount of hours.

City council positions are non-partisan, so there will be no need to worry about appearance of fairness.

Finally, this will be a paid internship. Interns who complete a semester with satisfactory work performance will receive $250 at the end of the semester. Interns who do an amazing job will get $500 at the end of the semester.

Traits I am looking for in interns: Above all, self-discipline and maturity! I want people who will take the work seriously, not need any "babysitting," and whom I can have the utmost confidence in. Other pluses include an outgoing and charismatic personality, people who are politically ambitious (either thinking of running for office in the future, or who want to learn more about public policy in general), or anyone with community organizing or campaign backgrounds.

Thanks for forwarding this on. Anyone who is interested in working for me in Fall can email their resume, cover letter, and references to this email address. I am looking to fill two positions.

Best wishes,

Anders Ibsen
Council Member, 1st District
Tacoma City Council
(253) 370-0201