Thursday, November 19, 2009

Read/Write for the Examiner--

From Colin Cronin '09:

I hope everything is well at UPS. I have come across a very cool opportunity and wanted to share it with readers of the P&G blog. Last week I started writing for Examiner.com and was hired as their "Tacoma Public Policy Examiner." Examiner.com is a news site (based in Denver, Colorado) that essentially employs citizens as expert sources on particular subjects. Examiners function as independent contractors and apply to write for a certain topic (you can apply and potentially write for multiple topics as well). The topics are incredibly diverse, ranging from current events to the latest Twilight buzz.

Compensation is based on things such as page views, session length, subscriptions, and other traffic-related factors. I'm finding it to be a nice side gig to other work, although some people have made a great deal of money writing full-time. However, for me the best things about writing for Examiner.com is the access to such a large market. Examiner.com pieces frequently come up in Google search results, which means my writing can get substantial exposure. It's a nice supplement to my blog, which I've been keeping up on and off for a while.

If students, staff, or faculty are interested in writing for Examiner.com, you can read up on it here. For those who are ready to apply, follow this link for available Tacoma Examiner positions (there are also positions available nationally which you can search for).

Now comes my shameless plug. My profile page (with links to all my articles) can be found at http://www.examiner.com/x-29360-Tacoma-Public-Policy-Examiner. Since my pay depends on traffic, I encourage everyone to check out my articles and, if you like the material, subscribe so you can receive updates when I publish new pieces. Also, if you decide to apply as a writer, it would be great if you could mention my name as the one who referred you. I receive $50 for each referred person who is accepted as an Examiner (this will be true of any future referrals you make as well). Here's a video on the referral process. My name is Colin Cronin and my Examiner ID number is 29360.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at tabris326@gmail.com. Good luck in your writing careers!

Best,
Colin Cronin