Thursday, May 25, 2006

Alum Profile: Stephanie Kanan '03

This is the first in a series of alum interviews we'll be doing on the departmental blog. If you're an alum and want to participate, drop me a note--we'd all love to hear from you.

Stephanie Kanan

Kanan1
Teaching with the Peace Corps in Kenya

Kanan2
Steph's students are preparing maize before it is ground into flour

When did you graduate from UPS?

May 2003

What have you been doing since graduation?


After graduation I served in the Peace Corps in Kenya for 2 years. I worked as an HIV/AIDS educator. Since returning from Kenya I've been living in New York City working as a Community Organizer for ACORN, a non-profit organization. My job essentially entails empowering and organizing low-income community members to fight for social justice.

Why and how did you decide to take the career path you did?

Sort of a chain of events. Study abroad my junior year of college led me to the idea of joining the Peace Corps. And my time in Peace Corps led me to the idea of community organizing. Ultimately I plan to go to law school.

Are there any aspects of the Politics and Government major or your UPS education that have served you particularly well?


Yes. My understanding of politics and political systems helped me scrutinize the political dysfunction I witnessed in Kenya. It was with my background in politics that I was able to convey to Kenyans (the many, many times we discussed world politics) the way the American government operates, as well as other countries.

Do you have any advice of what our students should (or should not) make certain to do while still in school?

Take advantage of all that UPS offers. Get in involved as much as you can (or that interests you) because you never know how the experience will relate to your later endeavors. And, most definitely, study abroad.

Do you have any advice about what our students should be thinking about as they consider their future careers or further education?


You don't have to have all of the answers now. It's ok to try things out without making any lifetime commitments.

Any other words of wisdom?

I'm not that wise yet.