Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Caitlin McGrane '10: Washington Semester at AU

Caitlin McGrane is currently doing a "semester abroad" in DC with the Washington Semester Program at American University. It's a great opportunity to get exposure to the Beltway and earn credits toward your degree. Her reflections on the program are below--

The Washington Semester Program is part of American University in Washington D.C. The program consists of three parts: a seminar, internship and optional research project or elective class. There are many different programs, some related to US politics and law and others focus on international issues, journalism and business. Some programs are in DC the entire semester and others take three weeks to travel abroad.

The program I am in is Public Law; a program with no travel component. Three days a week I go to my seminar class which can manifest itself in a variety of forms. My class of 23 students from universities in the United States and abroad will either meet with political figures and experts in their place of business or on our campus as well as have more typical class lectures with only our professor. The caliber of speaker I have had so far has far exceeded my expectations. I have been able to listen to and ask questions of 11 members of congress, including the famous civil rights leader John Lewis and the currently controversial chairman of the Financial Services Committee Barney Frank. Other interesting speakers include CBS News reporter Bob Schieffer (who a week before speaking to my class moderated the third presidential debate), famous Watergate journalist Bob Woodward, Deputy Solicitor General Malcolm Stewart, Chief Judge Rufus King of the DC District Court, and Edwin Meese (the Attorney General under President Regan). In addition to these wonderful meetings I have had the opportunity to sit and listen to an entire Supreme Court oral argument, as well as conduct a mock markup of a bill in the actual House Armed Services Committee hearing room.

10.22.08
Caitlin with Bob Shieffer.

The other two days of the week are dedicated to an internship. The choice of internship is entirely up to the student. For my internship I chose to work for my representative, Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Working on the hill has been such a rewarding experience. I was in the gallery of the House when they passed the financial bailout and got to watch Speaker Pelosi make her statement before the vote was called. It was an unforgettable experience.

The Washington Semester program has been wonderful. I have had the opportunity to do so many memorable things. Not to mention the city is amazing. As someone who wanted to get away from Tacoma, but not necessarily to another country, this program was perfect. I STRONGLY recommend it. Please e-mail me at cmcgrane@ups.edu if you have any questions!

More information can be found at http://www.washingtonsemester.com/