Monday, October 22, 2007

The Ethics of Technology

From the Chronicle of Higher Education, a lengthy piece on the ethics of using office technology--email, computers, software--for non-work activities. I think the author might be a bit hard nosed about some of this; for example, many of us customize our PCs with software that we do use for work, and this kind of effort is often what drives technology forward at the workplace. It can't always be IT that is setting technology standards (and for bureaucratic reasons it is often not in their interest to move things forward). Still, one good point is using work email for non-work correspondence, another reason why I like that Gmail allows me to switch back and forth between my UPS and Gmail accounts while having all of it come to one place. Worth reading the whole piece, and I'd welcome any thoughts from alums and their own experiences in these areas. The article is here.

Hat tip: Professor Weinberger