Thursday, May 10, 2007

Liz Perry '03 Offers Advice on Grad School

First, congrats to Liz Perry '03, who this fall will be starting graduate school at UCSD as a Masters student in Latin American Studies. She writes that in addition to classes, she'll be a Research Assistant for the Latin American Studies department and will be participating in the Mexican Migration Field Research and Training Program (MMFRP).

After getting that good news, I asked Liz if she'd mind my blogging her good news and maybe her thoughts about applying to grad school now that she's headed out. As with so many alums, she penned a thoughtful addition that is a must read for anyone thinking about going back to school. Thanks for everything, Liz, and keep us posted.


Congratulations to all ’07 graduates!

What I learned about applying to graduate school or choosing between them? As the class of 2007 gets ready to depart and other students move a year closer to completion, there are a few things that I learned when applying to grad school that may be helpful for others interested in applying to Masters programs down the road. I’ll spare the details, because by the time it comes to applying to grad school most everyone has developed their own style for success that is unique & time tested. However, these few things I consider to have contributed to my confidence in my final selection of schools and acceptance of UCSD’s offer.

1. Starting early. Starting early gave me the time needed to research programs, talk to students & professors, visit two schools (not necessary, but helpful in making my decision), and to research contributing faculty and recent publications (and read many). Interestingly, I added UCSD’s program at the last minute (after having spent months researching), a program I may not have considered if I had started the process later.

2. Keeping an open mind. I applied to seven different programs and, if asked, wouldn’t have said that UCSD was my top choice after applications were submitted. However, I now feel confident now that it is the right fit for me. Although I collected all the information I could on each program, some info wasn’t available until after acceptance: such as unique research opportunities (only offered after acceptance), the level of advocacy by contributing faculty for admitted students, or the support the program receives from the University (evident in financial aid opportunities).

3. Staying in touch. While I think each professor that helped me in the process would consider their contribution minimal, it was tremendously helpful to have their support and input when it came time to make choices. As I was making final decisions, I was bombarded with information from each program about why they were best. Professors at UPS were able to offer me unbiased information and opinions that were fully geared to what was in my best interest (even those that I didn’t take classes from). Beyond how Professors (and cohorts) can be helpful in future job and educational endeavors, it is great to stay connected to people who contribute to your growth, as many of my cohorts and professors did for me.

Liz Perry ‘03
lizbperry@hotmail.com

Tags: