Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tech Things I'm Liking

Many months ago I blogged about Writely, an online-based word processing program that Google swallowed before it was even out of Beta. It's out now as Google Docs. I don't find it replaces Word, but I do like that I can easily write documents that can be accessed across machines, and that you can share and collaborate with others on a single document. I think it would be good for any project that involves multiple individuals, or creating shared study guides. I also use it to cut and paste articles I might find online that I'd want to use later in my courses, as it seems to preserve the online formatting better than Word. Give it a try.

I also was one of the few on campus who resisted our forced conversion to Microsoft Outlook. Since then I've been puttering along with Eudora as I have for years. But now I'm playing with Thunderbird, an email program made by Mozilla (the folks who gave us Firefox). If you use Firefox you may find it rather familiar, and so far I think it's pretty stable and was able to import my email and various boxes from Eudora quite easily. Like Google Docs, it's free, and seems to be subject to fairly frequent improvement and revision (which Eudora does not). So a couple of things to play with.

Tags: