Thursday, August 17, 2006

Alum Profile: C. Mark Smith '61

B-17group

C. Mark Smith (on far left) in front of a B-17 with his fellow UPS Sigma Chi fraternity brothers on their third history and natural sciences-related trip to England in 2002. This picture was taken at RAF Duxford, the British equivalent to the Air and Space Museum.

When did you graduate from UPS? 1961.

What have you been doing since graduation?

After graduation, I began working at our family mortgage banking firm in Tacoma for 10 years. After that, through what now seem to be a pretty weird set of circumstances, I was appointed as the Regional Director of the federal Economic Development Administration (a part of the Commerce Department) responsible for the agency’s economic development programs in the eight western states. After that, I managed the Tacoma-Pierce County Economic Development Board, the Economic Development Executives of Washington (a statewide industry group), built condominiums, served on numerous boards and committees – and got bored. I then moved to Alabama to serve as Director of Economic Development for the City of Birmingham (where I was involved with the effort to bring Mercedes to Alabama), where I retired in 2000. I wasn’t quite ready for retirement, so we moved back to Washington to accept a position as economic development manager in Richland. I retired again after 5 years there (we still live in the Tri-Cities and love it) and now I do a little consulting. Last November I spent 3 months working with FEMA in long-term economic recovery in Mississippi.

Why and how did you decide to take the career path you did?

I have always been interested in history and politics and was very interested in the concept of public service. That, to me, didn’t necessarily mean that you had to work for the public service, only that you should try to find ways of serving the public. I really kind of fell into my career path. In 1968, seven years after graduating from UPS, several of us managed a congressional campaign against then 6th District Congressman Floyd Hicks. We lost the race, but our candidate ended up being the Deputy Administrator of the Small Business Administration. A few months later I found myself in the economic development business, very young, with no real background, and a lot of energy. My experience there led me to understand the circumstances and economic conditions of many Americans I had never been exposed to in the past. I would have to say it was a life-changing experience and led to my future career.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the person who got me really interested in public service, former Tacoma Mayor and U.S. Senator Harry Cain. Cain was a close friend of our family’s and with his deep voice and colorful turn of phrase impressed me greatly. Harry’s political career teaches that when the public’s interest is at hand, do what you believe to be the right thing, not the political thing. When we had a chance, Harry’s children and I established a scholarship in his name at UPS.

Are there any aspects of your UPS education in general that have served you particularly well?

There is no substitute for a liberal arts education or, as former President Phil Phibbs used to say, “an education for a lifetime.” People change jobs so frequently these days, that you have broad interests and a continual interest in learning. The other aspect about my UPS education is the lifelong friendships I made there. Four of my fraternity brothers and I went to England last October for a month to be present for the celebration of the 200th anniversary of Lord Nelson’s victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. We had dinner with Oxford dons, toured the Admiralty Board Room at the Admiralty Buildings at Horse Guards, and joined 3,000 crazy, drunken British subjects at a glorious Trafalgar Day concert at the historic covered slip of the Chatham shipyard where HMS Victory was launched in 1757. All of us first learned of such things at UPS.

Do you have any advice about what our students should make certain they do (or don’t do!) while still in school?

Live up to your personal expectations. Don’t underachieve. Today’s students wouldn’t be at UPS if there weren’t exceptional in the first place. But even exceptional people can lack confidence and underachieve. Your future career – and life – are being created while you are at UPS. Make the most of it! Also, have fun. Do new things. Enjoy the community. Participate in the broader community by volunteering or other activities.

Do you have any advice about what our students should be thinking about as they consider their careers or further education?

Follow your heart. I know an awful lot of smart, unhappy people who don’t like what they do. There are probably a lot of people who have certain expectations of you. You have expectations of yourself. Question yourself honestly to see if that is really what you want to do. When you get to be my age, you understand that life goes by very quickly. You want to be able to look back on your life and be able to say that you made a difference.

Any other words of wisdom, or important questions I haven’t asked?

No, but I’ll probably think of something and that will allow me to post again to your blog.

Thanks to Mark and everyone who has contributed a profile to date. Mark will be joining us for our Departmental Homecoming Fest at The Swiss September 29th, so join us!

Tags: